Project 3: Storyboard The Sequel & Scripting

 After trying to come up with a script for my original idea and exploring rotoscoping, I wasn't too confident in the direction that the original idea of presenting a topic like how to start a day it felt too vague of an audience. So all parts of the previous segment is outdated now! 𐇡


Instead, I wanted to approach the idea of something coming from the approach of something I would like to tell myself when I was younger. Thus, providing me a more concrete direction to appeal to (which I feel like works in a more personal topic compared to a definite answer). Second, I figured I would do an infographic on starting out as an artist, more so focusing on the confidence-building and introductory aspects from research from professionals and personal experiences I can find.


List of definitive "steps" are as follows

1) Ignoring Hesistation - referring mainly to the initial expectations of needing to do something "good". Failure is a key part of learning a new skill, despite how education system treats it otherwise. You should feel good on the progress and not worry about the end results of making something "good" at first.

2) Look for advice whenever needed - basically looking up many free/cheap resources available online, community centers, or schooling for places you get stuck / finding advice to learning fundamentals. Even just getting in contact with other artists usually can provide some merit if you are able. Usually someone else has done what you've been doing and they probably solved it somehow.

3) Go from general down to the finer details - Working on the basic composition before applying the pretty parts on top usually helps save time and headache usually (ie not redoing the same arm details 5 times because you can't get the perspective/composition right).

4) Don't always draw for exercises! Starting out especially, it's important to remember that you should at least dedicate some of your time to just having fun and experimenting. Setting time aside specifically for lessons is great and important but some skills you can't learn without practice. Additionally, it gives time to really relax and focus on application of said skill.


Finally, I wanted to change the aesthetic to a computer-sprite based one, for three reasons. 1) I came from a digital art environment to start, so I felt like it would be appropriate. 2) Provides an opportunity to use puppet-based animation with a 1 on 1 conversation with a program, rather than using the roto-scoping method. 3) Provides a lot of assets to reuse, be on for a long time, reducing workflow. Especially if porting in all layers of a drawing into AE.


I only have a few parts of my storyboard at the moment, but I am pretty happy where it is coming from. Sorry if it's a little underwhelming for a WIP.









Comments

  1. This is very well thought out! I really enjoy what you have going on in this storyboard and script. Excited to see it come to life visually.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you approaching this almost like a reflection about your own experience as an artist; you are the informer and main source for the infographic. I will admit I don't fully understand your storyboard in the sense of what is happening, maybe some explanatory notes would help, but I trust you and the process. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment