Audio Sample Research & Preliminary Notes: Project 1

For this assignment I wanted to use audio from something that wasn't simply an interview or a speech about motivation. In general, the concept of doing a text dialogue relating to a more single-sided commentary, and a focus on a pretty basic idea such as motivation and perseverance is not interesting for me.


Thus, my current sample I plan on working with is an excerpt from the album How To Speak Hip by Del Close & John Brent, specifically the first 30-45 seconds of "B2 - Cool"



I mostly wanted to look into this album because I remembered it initially from the world of song sampling (and if you are in the mood of something to listen to, its humor holds up pretty well today still), but I take interest into the specific except,


"Mr. Romo, I must admit that I'm puzzled. You hipsters claim to be such relaxed, free spirits, yet your rules for social behavior are even more set tight and rigid than those of square society."

"Yes, uh... a-a lot of the simple, everyday behavior is illegal. And so there's always a lot of heat on the scene. Now, if you break the rules of hip, you get put down, that's true. But you break the square rules and they throw you in the slam, and that's a big difference."


This is specifically because I love the dynamic of someone confused and question something as basic today as the concept of "cool" and think it would be fun to visually translate a relationship between two completely different characters. Plus, I think it provides an interesting challenge of creating a video with the themes of the 1970's and the themes of punk at the time.


Additionally, I could give an argument that the ideas of simple everyday behavior being illegal is something that could be relevant in our society still, but to be honest I just mostly wanted to highlight a cool comedy album that not much people know about.


Unsure if I what I will blog post tomorrow since I plan on most of the dedicated class time tomorrow setting up the basic text, but I felt like it was good to write this down so I can look back to it later for ideas on how I want to approach the design of this assignment.








Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice excerpt, I think it'll be cool to see how you convert this little bit more serious toned snippet into stylized text. I hope you add some nice, hip music to this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really should have honestly! I actually scrapped some background audio since I was having trouble lining it up properly, but I may give it another shot.

      Was trying to work with this cause I like Post Elvis's work (plus royalty-free) but might go for another beat if it doesn't work out. Especially since I'll have copyright issues either way lol

      https://youtu.be/Bta65ji6wDQ

      Delete
  3. I'm interested to see how you'll bring some of the speakers' personalities through type! Perhaps making the "confusing" parts even more confusing by making it hard to read for your audience might add a little more emphasis and help support the idea.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment